Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Wolves saves trees in Yellowstone National Park

As if we will never get enough stories and anecdotes of how the ecosystem is interlinked and how removal of one organism can affect the fragile web... blah blah. This is an interesting account of how the introduction of a top predator inevitably saves the trees and restores the Yellowstone National Park in all levels.
Call me a lazy man, but I do love it when things are arranged neatly for my reading... especially in the mornings. Needless to say, this example will be used when I meet students for ecology lessons next time, until I can find a better example from our region.
Enjoy guys.

Scientific American: Lessons from the Wolf [ ECOLOGY ]
Bringing the top predator back to Yellowstone has triggered
a cascade of unanticipated changes in the park's ecosystem

No comments: